In 2019 it is possible to make profits from trading commodities, such as gold without having to physically own the metal. Gold trading via CFD’s is based on opening a temporary order to buy or sell an exact amount of gold. The profit or loss is determined by the change in the price of the gold metal during the contract duration.
Open an account today & get an amazing welcome bonus.
Claim your bonus today!
At AvaTrade you can trade gold online, easily and effortlessly. Try gold trading with the leading regulated broker and enjoy the following benefits:
- Trade gold with competitive spreads
- Make larger trades with leverage of up to
- Trade on the powerful MetaTrader 4 platform
- Trade whichever way you think the market will go – long or short
- Trade anytime with our unique app AvaTradeGO
- Get 24/5 live client support in your language
Start trading Gold with AvaTrade and get a welcome bonus of up to $10,000.
Gold Trading History
Since prehistoric times gold was one of the first metals to be mined, mainly because of the form in which it was found, being nuggets or small pieces at the bottom of a river. It became so high in demand that Egyptians started mining it in 2000 BC. Throughout history many civilizations chose gold as a reliable and universal form of money for trading goods.
The gold standard, the monetary system for which the economic currency used is backed up by the gold reserves of the issuing country. It came to exist, due to the recognition of gold as an actual currency. It was abandoned by the United Kingdom and the whole British Empire when World War I began. Most of the other countries also abandoned it during the 20th century.
How to trade gold
Different forms of gold available to traders and investors:
Physical metal (bullions or coins) – A bullion is a grouping or bulk of precious metal. Measured in the form of a bar and weight.
Gold certificates – These are very similar to the first paper bank notes. Started in the 17th century, these gold certificates acted as proof of gold ownership, and were passed like cash payments. Today they are still issued by certain banks, and represent a quantity of gold bullion or coins for its owner.
Gold futures – Is a contract agreement for the delivery of gold in the future at a set price. Investors use this to manage the price risk. Since gold futures contracts are traded at centralized exchanges, these contacts offers more leverage and flexibility than trading commodities themselves.
Gold-based ETFs – With the idea that gold continues to offer good returns, the ETF’s – exchange traded funds, are managed by gold trading experts. They can potentially give you a better chance to earn more, than if you were to trade it on your own. Keep in mind the price of gold still will continue to affect the ETF.
- MT4 Symbol – GOLD
- Exchange – NYMEX
- Trading Hours – 23:00 – 21:59
- Margin: 0.50
- Increment: 0.01
- Minimum Trade Size: 1 ounce
- Spread Fixed
Why Trade Gold with AvaTrade
You can join AvaTrade today for as little as and start trading gold and other precious metals. As a welcome bonus, we are offering up to $10,000, depending on your initial deposit. We pride ourselves in being a regulated and trusted broker worldwide for the past 11 years and are here to help you along the way.
You will get access to a range of educational tools, trading advantages and benefits that are exclusive to AvaTrade clients.
Gold Trading Online
Gold trading with AvaTrade is easy to understand, especially if you already have some experience of the forex market. Gold units are measured in Troy Ounces against a currency – usually the dollar – in a similar way to a Forex currency pair.
Get started in gold trading with AvaTrade and you could receive a new client bonus of up to $10,000.
Gold Trading Influences and Gold Trading Strategy
Several distinct factors come into play when analysing the movement of the Gold price:
- Supply and demand – Most of the global demand comes from jewelry production and manufacturing (50%), and investment purposes (40%). Increased demand with low supply can mean a higher price, on the opposite end an oversupply, with weak demand can drive prices lower.
- Market sentiment – Political uncertainty and/or instability contributes to global growth uncertainty and does help in the rising prices of gold.
- Market volatility – Gold has often been used as a safe haven investment when markets are unpredictable.
- Currency movements – The US dollar is a strong influencer. When the dollar falls, commodity prices around the world increase. The US dollar and gold have an inverse relationship.
Overall if you are looking to an alternative investment arena, or a hedge – which is a reduced risk of price movements in any asset, then gold might be the right asset for you.
Please note that trading in this market involves risk like any other.
Here are a few tips for trading gold:
- Gold is compared to the yen since both assets fall into the category of a “safe haven instrument”, they tend to move in the same direction. Often, you can check your trade set ups by comparing the two.
- Focus on the behavior of the price and keep in mind that commodities can move more than currencies.
- The most popular Gold exchange rate is the XAU to USD rate. XAU is the trading terminal’s code for gold.
Start trading the gold market with AvaTrade and get a welcome bonus of up to $10,000.