|Instrument:UNITEDHEALTH GROUP INC|
UnitedHealth Group (ticker symbol: UNH) is an American-multinational-managed healthcare and insurance company and well-being company headquartered in Minnetonka, USA. The Group has 36 offices located throughout the US.
UnitedHealth Group generates its largest share of revenues from its health insurance premiums. With a market capitalization of $107.1 billion, UnitedHealth Group (UNH) is the largest insurance provider in the US.
The UNH Group offers a broad range of products and services through UnitedHealthcare and Optum. UnitedHealth Group serves over 70 million people across the country and is ranked number 14 on the Fortune magazine’s top 500 US companies. UnitedHealth Group’s health segment offers customer-focused health plans and services, employee health insurance contracts, as well as independent insurance plans. UnitedHealth Group’s OptumHealth segment provides healthcare and other financing services to individuals, through tailored insurance programmes.
The company was first listed on the American Stock Exchange on October 26, 1984 and has since then been traded under the ticker symbol: UNH. Some of Group’s most notable mergers and acquisitions include:
- In 1994, UnitedHealth acquired Florida insurer Ramsey-HMO while the following year the company acquired The MetraHealth Companies Inc. for $1.65 billion
- In 1996, UnitedHealth acquired HealthWise of America
- In 1998, UnitedHealth acquired HealthPartners of Arizona
- In 2003, UnitedHealth acquired insurance company Mid Atlantic Medical Services and health saving accounts company Golden Rule Financial
- In 2004, UNH acquired Touchpoint Health Plan and Oxford Health Plans. In December 2005, the company acquired PacifiCare Health Systems
- In February 2008, UnitedHealth acquired Sierra Health Services for $2.6 billion and in July 2009 it bought Health Net’s Northeast licensed subsidiaries
- In October 2014, OptumHealth acquired the health services unit of Alere for $600 million
- In June 2019, UnitedHealth’s Optum division acquired Davita Medical Group from DaVita Inc. for $4.3 billion
- In March 2022 UNH announced that it would acquire LHC Group for $5.5 billion.
UnitedHealth Group Stock History
UnitedHealth Group was founded in 1977 in an effort to reorganize Richard Taylor Burke’s privately held company Charter Med Incorporated. UnitedHealth’s IPO was held on October 26, 1984.
The company achieved its first significant success in 1997 when the AARP (American Association of Retired Persons) selected UnitedHealth Group to provide coverage for its members. The company went on to grow significantly through a number of important acquisitions of other Medicare, pharmaceutical and health insurance companies. UNH’s acquisitions to date total 22.
In 1997, UnitedHealth Group expanded its Evercare program which was designed to provide long-term care to patients in nursing homes. Over the years, the company increased its focus towards employer-sponsored and individual healthcare plans. In 2009, UnitedHealth Group introduced the first ever diabetes health plan and in 2010, the company announced an innovative cancer care payment model.
UnitedHealth Group’s Optum brand was created in 2011 as the company’s health services business. The Optum division runs staffed physical care delivery services throughout the United States.
How to Trade UnitedHealth Group
From providing benchmarking tools to physicians, to improving service quality and educating its clients about their health benefits, UnitedHealth Group consistently differentiated itself from its peers. This has enabled UNH to grow substantially since its IPO back in 1984. Here are some factors to consider when trading UnitedHealth Group stock:
Breakthroughs, Major Milestones, Mergers & Acquisitions
UnitedHealth Group has made a number of important acquisitions over the years including its latest and biggest acquisition of in-home healthcare service provider LHC Group in 2022. These investments have enabled UNH to expand its services across multiple healthcare sectors and grow exponentially. UNH traders should look out for new such milestones and acquisitions as they can have a major impact on UNH’s stock price.
While UnitedHealth Group is one of the most prominent healthcare and health insurance providers in the United States, there are still a number of contenders to keep an eye on when considering the company’s performance. UnitedHealth Group’s main competitors include Milliman, Humana, Anthem, Inc., Aetna and eviCore healthcare
New Product/Services Rollouts
UnitedHealth Group has invested heavily in expansion and product diversification. The company has become known for providing cost-effective healthcare solutions for employers and individuals. Keeping an eye out for the group’s latest product launches and gauging market demand, can help traders better anticipate UnitedHealth Group stock’s performance.
Periodical Earnings Reports
UnitedHealth Group’s quarterly earnings reports can give traders valuable insights into how the company is faring and provide clues on what the future of the company may look line. UnitedHealth Group releases earnings reports at the end of every quarter, with UNH’ fiscal year running from December 1st to November 30th of the following year.
AvaTrade UnitedHealth Group Stock Trading Information
- UnitedHealth Group Symbol: #UNH
- Trading Times: Monday – Friday 13:00 – 19:59 GMT
- Country: USA
- Currency: USD
- Exchange: NYSE
- Leverage up to: 5:1
Why trade UnitedHealth Group with AvaTrade
- International Regulation – AvaTrade offers a transparent, regulated, and secure trading environment to clients across the globe.
- Leveraged Trading – AvaTrade gives traders the opportunity to multiply their market exposure and trade UnitedHealth Group with leverage.
- Ability to Short Sell – AvaTrade supports both Buy and Sell positions with UnitedHealth Group CFDs, enabling traders to make the most of rising and falling price trends.
- Automated Trading Solutions – Offering limit orders and the option to use trading scripts and EAs on its MetaTrader platforms, AvaTrade enables traders to fully automate their trading activity.
- Competitive Conditions – AvaTrade features ultra-low trading costs and some the most competitive conditions in the markets, allowing traders to improve their profit margins.
- Exclusive Trading Tools – AvaTrade’s free Trading Central tools offer traders leading analytical widgets as well as the option to set up and receive real-time alerts on individual assets and stocks such as UnitedHealth Group.
- Expert Education & Support – With AvaTrade, traders can access 24/5 dedicated support as well as a wealth of educational resources including live webinars, e-books, and e-courses to help them make better informed decisions
See a trading opportunity? Open an account now!